Current Construction Status
Construction Fact – Drivers have likely noticed two large yellow cranes – known as gantry cranes – in the area between the I-215 Interchange and 7200 South off ramp. Space constraints in the work zone required crews to create an innovative solution to complete improvements in this area, bringing a first-in-Utah approach to the project.
- Crews have been using the cranes to safely demolish and construct bridge structures while reducing the number of lane closures.
- The crane feet are between I-15 and adjacent ramps to the west, spanning the work area. This allows work to continue without impacting the ground below where several train tracks crisscross the area.
- These cranes are typically used in ship or train yards. This is the first-time gantry cranes will be used on a highway project in Utah.
Drivers in the area are advised to use caution in the construction zone and observe all posted signage.
New Construction Activities
Last Updated: Friday October 18, 2019
- On Friday, October 18, starting as early as 11:30 pm, crews will be implementing a new traffic signal at Bingham Junction. Drivers can expect flaggers directing traffic through the intersection.
- Next week, crews will begin pouring concrete for the curb and gutter on the northside of 7200 South. Drivers and pedestrians are advised to follow signed business access detours.
- Crews will continue working on the I-15/I-215 Interchange structure. Due to a scheduling delay, pile driving will begin as early as Monday, October 28 and continue for 5 nights. Area businesses and residents may notice increased noise and vibration between 9pm and 5am.
- Project Timeline
To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, UDOT is adding a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expanding 7200 South, west of the freeway. Work will include:
- Adding a lane to southbound I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South in Salt Lake County.
- Widening 7200 South to three lanes in each direction from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale.
- Modifying the I-15 interchange at I-215 to improve traffic flow.