Current Construction Status
S.R. 201 to 12300 South & 7200 South Widening
I-15 Southbound Weekly Construction
- At the 7200 S off ramp from I-15 Southbound, the posted off-ramp speed is 45 MPH. We remind all drivers to follow this and all other speed limits throughout the project. This will help keep you and other drivers safe.
Ongoing Construction Activities
The following are ongoing activities along the Project corridor.
Crews will continue work along the northern segments of the I-15 Southbound project – from 3300 S. to 7800 S. You can expect:
- Roadway excavation and drainage work along the outside shoulder
- Demolition of existing barrier and concrete pavement
- At 7200 S, motorists can expect night-time flagging operations and lane closures to accommodate bridge work for the next few months. Please plan for these delays.
- Work to widen the 5900 S. and 4800 S. bridges to accommodate the additional southbound lane has been underway and is scheduled to continue for several weeks. Drivers can expect flagging operations and lane closures. Area residents and businesses may notice an increase in construction noise and vibrations while this work occurs, including overnight hours.
Crews will continue working from 7800 S to 12300 S primarily along the shoulder. Drivers can expect narrowed shoulders at all hours.
Please note that due to weather, Project conflicts, utility issues, or equipment/supply issues, schedules are subject to change.
What to Expect
- Drivers can expect nightly lane closures, including on and off ramps.
- Lane closures may occur on the following schedule:
- Monday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Friday, 11 p.m. – 7:30 a.m.
- Saturday, 11 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Sunday, 6 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Drivers can expect temporary barriers and the outside shoulder to be closed. Use inside shoulder or signed pullouts in case of emergency.
- Residents and businesses adjacent to active construction can expect some increase in noise and dust.
HOV Suspension Reminder
HOV/Express Lanes are suspended through the I-15 Southbound project from S.R. 201 to 12300 S. These suspensions will be in place for the duration of the project.
Solo drivers may use the HOV lane as a general-purpose lane as crews work to keep traffic flowing but should note the following:
- Don’t cross the double white lines–it’s unsafe and illegal.
- Don’t weave in and out–enter and exit at designated areas indicated by white-dotted lines.
- Trailers and vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 12,000 pounds are not allowed in the two left lanes.
Visit UDOT’s Express Lane info page for more information on using the Express Lanes properly.
To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, UDOT is adding a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expanding 7200 South, west of the freeway. Work will include:
- Adding a lane to southbound I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South in Salt Lake County.
- Widening 7200 South to three lanes in each direction from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale.
- Modifying the I-15 interchange at I-215 to improve traffic flow.
The I-15 Southbound project will use $180 million dollars in state funds, which accounts for the environmental study, design and construction.
- Construction expected to span two construction seasons